Monday, April 25, 2011

Toni Hodges DeTuncq, The White House, 1973-74

When I left The White House to move to California in Feb. 1973, I recommended my former college roommate and girlfriend, Toni Hodges, to replace me. Toni reported to John Andrews and Ben Stein (who later went on to become an actor) in the speech writing department. I have collected several wonderful anecdotes from her over the years including this one:

"The night before Nixon resigned Julie, Dave, Tricia and Edward were pacing up and down in front of my office – wringing their hands. We all knew Nixon was making up his mind. Don’t know how, but we knew.

"The next day after he resigned, another secretary and I exited the White House through the East Wing to go to the Old Ebbitt Grill. We couldn’t have been gone longer than an hour. When we returned all the furniture had been changed. All of Nixon’s photos were gone from the hallways and replaced with family photos of the Fords and their pets."

Today, as principal of THD & Company, Toni provides end-to-end measurement and evaluation support to help organizations link their corporate training programs with their business needs and demonstrate the extent to which they are successful. She is a popular speaker and author of three books on return-on-investment (ROI) which are available on amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment